[aprssig] Re: D7 battery

KC2MMI (Jared) kc2mmi at verizon.net
Fri Mar 24 14:44:01 EST 2006

Ron-
 "I have been using rechargeable AA batteries in my D7 battery holder"
Yes, don't do it. Bear in mind the radio requires 10-12V for full power and the
AA pack is putting out half of that, 6V, using alkaline cells. With NiMh it only
puts out 5 volts when they are fully charged--about the same thing as half-dead
alkalines. You're simply pushing the limits of the radio. Make up an external AA
pack that will give you better than 6 volts all the time, if you don't want to
use the Kenwood rechargeable pack or alkalines.
 You are also running the risk of pizzling the radio. If you operate it with low
voltage, the CPU tends to go psycho and then you'll need to do a reset, and
reprogram everything, as well as changing to new batteries.