[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types,alternatives

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 24 11:02:15 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Lance Cotton wrote:

> I'm still a little miffed that the TT3.1 added raw NMEA mode to it's
> operation and titled the option in the config program as "Send NMEA"
>
> What this ends up doing is new users who may be somewhat unfamiliar with
> all of the various tidbits of knowledge about APRS will recognize "NMEA"
> as what comes out of their GPS and then think that if they want to use
> their GPS with the TT3, they have to switch on "Send NMEA".

Nice thing about this is that it's relatively easy to correct
because it doesn't require a firmware change.  Just update the
config program to either disallow this mode or to provide additional
warning text to the user when selecting this item.  Over time as
people update their configs (might take a year or two) people will
stop using that mode.  Suggest that to Byon.