[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types,alternatives

Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Fri Mar 24 08:23:34 EST 2006

Wes johnston wrote:
> No one is saying that one size fitz all.... Bob is suggesting the the
> tiny track and open track default to this new idea.  if the user knows
> enough about what he's doing, he can flip that bit off and go to normal
> operation when the TT or open traker is programmed.

Speaking of defaults and "good" behavior...

I'm still a little miffed that the TT3.1 added raw NMEA mode to it's
operation and titled the option in the config program as "Send NMEA"

What this ends up doing is new users who may be somewhat unfamiliar with
all of the various tidbits of knowledge about APRS will recognize "NMEA"
as what comes out of their GPS and then think that if they want to use
their GPS with the TT3, they have to switch on "Send NMEA".

This is just as detrimental to the network loading as poor path choice
-- and sends us back to the days when APRS was a GPS plugged to a dumb TNC.

-Lance
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.