[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Wes Johnston johnstonwes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:26:51 EST 2006

Smart pathing has nothing to do with the digipeater.  It has to do with
making a tracker transmit via 1 hop often, and 2 hops less often and 3 hops
even less often.

A number of years ago I did something like this with my wife's tracker.
When I was the only one in this town running aprs, I had her car beacon
every 20 seconds DIRECT, and once a minute out 2 hops.  The tracker only ran
when the car was switched on, and used a KPC3 tnc.  All the settings had to
be done manually and it was a moderate aggrivation to setup.  What Bob has
proposed is the the tracker have the brains to alter it's path every 2nd or
3rd transmission. Never occurred to me to have a tracker do this
automatically!

Not to confuse things, but this _concept_ has been used on digipeater beacon
texts IDs for some time.  The recommented ID for a digipeater is DIRECT
every 10minutes, our 2 hops every 20 or 30, and 3 hops once an hour.  This
is configured in the 4 BLT buffers in the TNC.  HOwever for a digipeater to
support a mobile running smart paths requires no changes to the normal
WIDEn-n configuration already setup in the digipeater.

Hope I haven't added to the confusion.

Wes