[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 21 13:09:21 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 scott at opentrac.org wrote:

> So they don't have to use AUTO.  They can still run TRACE7-7 if they really
> want to.  But if a long-haul trucker wants to run one setting and not
> generate excessive traffic, they can run maybe WIDE3-3,AUTO and know that if
> they drive into an area that supports AUTO it'll knock the path down to
> whatever is recommended for the area.

How about using "APAUTO" in the destination field, which would be
picked up by the smart digi and tweaked into an appropriate path?
The "AP" would need to be there for APRS clients to attempt
decoding, else they might think it an ALTNET call.

That's seven more bytes we don't have to transmit, as we wouldn't
need _any_ digipeaters in the path.  Of course this wouldn't work
for Mic-E packets, but would for all other types of APRS packets.