[aprssig] Tactical Digi use

Ed Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:22:57 EST 2006

Doug Ferrell wrote:

> Greetings:
>
>    Our local ham group will be using aprs again (more users finally!) on a
> two day 200 mile biking event in April. This year I would like to switch
> the local digi's and route digi's (temp setups) over to a tactical type
> path so if the band opens up the trackers don't get clobbered over.
>
>   Has anyone set up digi's to only respond to trackers for an event like
> this? This event covers from N florida into S Georgia (Albany) and I
> contemplated using the GA state path since there are not many S Georgia
> digi's.  Any other ideas?

Doug,

I have been following this thread.  Setting up your temp digis and paths
according to Bob's suggestions will work just fine.  We recently had the
Olustee Parade here in Lake City, FL where we used 2 trackers and 2 temp
digis using UI-View32.  We used 144.990 for the frequency.  Following is
a snip from the UI-View .ini file.

[DIGI_OPTIONS]
DIGI_ENABLED=FALSE
UI_ONLY=TRUE
ALIAS_SUBSTITUTION=TRUE
DUPE_SUPPESS_SECONDS=30
ALIAS=TEMP2-1,TEMP1-1,KF4CHG-11
UIFLOOD=FL
UITRACE=""
TEMPN-N=TRUE
TRACEN-N=FALSE
SUBST_ALIAS=KF4CHG-11
EXCLUDED=""
WIDEN-N=FALSE

Although it says UIFLOOD=FL above it was actually turned off.  Trackers
(TT3's) were set for 1 minute beacons with Tactial callsigns with my
actual callsign KF4CHG beaconed every 10 minutes.  This all worked
fallessly.  HT radios were set for 5 watts output.

Wish I could be there to help out.

Ed, KF4CHG