[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 21 17:13:52 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >That's why I quoted my settings as one beacon
> >per XX miles.
>
> But that is also then fails miserably when you are
> slowly driving around the block trying to find
> someone who also may be moving slowly or
> that is using APRS to find you.

Nope, 'cuz you still have the beacon-when-you-turn mode that kicks
in.  The per-mile thing like I do only comes into play if I'm
roughly going straight.  Once I turn more than 22 degrees or so I
send another posit.  There's also a setting for quiet time between
posits if I continue turning for a while.

I suppose one could set the SmartBeaconing(tm) settings quite a bit
differently where you get a constant beacon interval plus
beacon-on-turn.  I just don't happen to want this, but it could be
done.

You could also disable SmartBeaconing(tm) in an OpenTracker or
TinyTracker then set a specific posit interval.  Then it'll posit
roughly like a Kenwood, which may be what you're after here.  I'm
not.