[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 21 16:59:54 EST 2006

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 03/21/06 4:18 PM >>>
>That's why I quoted my settings as one beacon
>per XX miles.

But that is also then fails miserably when you are
slowly driving around the block trying to find
someone who also may be moving slowly or
that is using APRS to find you.

I maintain that if someone wants to be "tracked"
that TIME is not all that  bad a method in many
cases.  If I set my rate to every 3 minutes, then
one gets consistent *info* about what I am doing
no matter whether I am sitting still or if I am
moving at 60 MPH or moving in tiny circles.

It its the update in TIME as to what I am doing
that is often the matter of interest.  Nothing
works better in that scenario than a fixed rate.

Now, in addition, the Proportional Paths has
advantages as well, keeping those farther away
and less inteested  in details less informed and
less load on the channel while not giving up
frequent updates close in where you need it
most.

Bob, WB4APR