[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Tue Mar 21 15:12:14 EST 2006

--- Bill Diaz <william.diaz at comcast.net> wrote:

> Huh?  "Smart Beaconing" can consume an inordinate
> amount of bandwidth.  We
> saw a mobile using smart beaconing with a wide3-3
> path driving a round a
> city neighborhood.

First off, bad choice of path.  You can't attribute
that to the SmartBeaconing it'self.

> Every time he turned a corner he
> would send a position
> packet and a telemetry packet.

Sounds like a TinyTrak with the status beacon set to a
1/1 scheme, meaning for every posit packet, a status
packet is sent.  I just recently got a local guy to
turn that very same thing off and turn on
SmartBeaconing.  Now, for every 10 packets I used to
hear from him, I hear about 3.  He still shows up fine
on my map via RF and Findu.  I can even tell when he
takes a turn now.

> I was seeing 2 and 3
> copies of every packet
> he sent.

Again, has to do with the WIDE3-3 most likely.  Bad
choice of path in a high density area, not the
SmartBeaconing's fault.

> Virtually saturated the channel for miles
> around by just driving
> around the block.  Doesn't sound too smart to me.

You are confusing idiot APRS settings with the
capabilities of the TX method.  Devices like the
TinyTrak, OpenTracker, HamHUD, ect. are only as smart
as we program/set them up to be.  We can however
employ smart algorithms to help determine when we need
to beacon and how often.

> There is no way a Kenwood could cause that amount of
> traffic.  Perhaps you
> could explain why you consider Kenwoods to be
> bandwidth hungry devices?

Refer back to my mention of a vehical sitting still
for hours on end, not moving and still sending a
packet one every 1 or 2 minutes.  How is that NOT
excessive and bandwidth cluttering??  Unless the user
deliberately changes to a longer pause, the radio will
sit there and continue to just beacon at that static
rate.  Sorry, that is old, outdated technology.  Time
to move on.

Jason KE4NYV
www.ke4nyv.com
RPC Electronics