[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Mar 21 11:48:02 EST 2006

> The whole point is to beacon when needed.  Such as
> going around corners and curves, crucial points.  How
> about sitting still for hours on end?  You're 1 or 2
> minute beacon rate will just keep going the whole time
> at that rate.  For what??  You're not going anywhere!
> When a vehical is sitting still employing
> SpartBeaconing, it automatically drops down to the
> slow_rate (typically 30-45 minutes per beacon).  Once
> the vehical starts moving again, the beacon rate will
> pick back up based on speed and goes right back into
> beaconing at crucial points.

Precisely my point.  I love my Hamhud, I'd buy a D700 in an instant if it
supported smartbeaconing.  I'm in and out of my vehicle 50 times or more a
day, and I don't need one more thing to do (change beacon rate) every time I
get in or out.  My Hamhud does it for me with smartbeaconing.

> The algorithm IS intended to decrease un-needed
> beacons.

And it does so quite well.  Simply put, it transmits more beacons than a
fixed rate WHEN there is pertinent data to present (i.e. movement and course
change), and less data when there is NOT pertinent data (sitting at
starbucks for coffee).