[aprssig] Re: GPS to TNC APRS packet processor

Mark Saurman vo1one at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 22:40:32 EST 2006

On 3/19/06, Warren Brown <vk3byd at amsat.org> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I have built an interface like this for my mobile station.
>
> It use an Atmel Micro-controller to interface the GPS into a Kantronics Kam Plus
> TNC.
> This allows me to run HF (10Mhz)  and VHF at the same time whilst mobile.

This is exactly the type of application I'm talking about.  While such
a device would cost the same as a full blown OpenTracker, it would be
cheaper than two OpenTrackers and two GPS's required to achieve the
same as one Kam Plus.  Also, the 9612 set up as a dual port, one for
satellite at 9k6 and the 1k2 port on 144.39.  I don't think there's
too many standalone devices that are capable of Mic-E packets at 9k6.
Although packet length is less of an issue at higher speeds, having
all of the wanted data that goes across a couple different NMEA
strings is something a dumb tracker cannot accomplish at any speed.  I
guess the market for such a creature isn't quite as large as I had
thought/hoped it will be.  Thanks for all the replies!

73,
Mark VO1ONE