[aprssig] Kenwood D7AG battery options ?

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Wed Mar 15 12:42:54 EST 2006

I have been using the W&W Associates 1000 mAh NiMH batteries and their Ia
Master Charger for years and have been very satisfied with them.

I have always purchased them at a Hamfest where the sell the PB-39 batteries
for $39.  The belt clip that comes with it works fine, however it is a bit
large.  I have always replaced them with a modified very compact older
Motorola Beeper clip.  I just purchased their latest PB-39M2 which is rated
at 1450 mAh.  I am testing it so far as to how long it will last.  Will post
results once I am done with all of my testing.

I also recently purchased one of those 2000 mAh BP-39 Li-Ion packs and
chargers that they sell on eBay.  I am not convinced that this pack will
work to my satisfaction that is why I just also bought the above battery.
This Li-Ion battery seems to shut itself off internally for some unexplained
reason.  I am doing some testing on this pack and have made that
manufacturer aware of this shut down problem.  They are now also looking
into my problem.  The shut down seems to be related to RF transmissions
including RF from the TH-D7 while transmitting in certain environmental
conditions.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info