[aprssig] RJ45/RS232 Again

Fred Atkinson, WB4AEJ fred at wb4aej.com
Mon Mar 13 16:37:57 EST 2006

Daron,

    OK, let me be more specific.  If you are familar with using a crossover
cable to connect the serial port of a PC to a Cisco router, switch, or
firewall,  you will have no trouble following this.

    I use Cisco rollover cables a lot because I teach computer networking.
I want to make an adapter to adapt the leads in a Cisco rollover cable to
the RS232 interface on a TNC-2.  Therefore, the same cable I use to
interface to Cisco devices I will be able to use [with this adapter] to
connect to the RS232 port on a TNC-2.

    A rollover cable is called just exactly what the pin out describes.  It
is as follows:

                     RJ45   to  RJ45
                       1    to    8
                       2    to    7
                       3    to    6
                       4    to    5
                       5    to    4
                       6    to    3
                       7    to    2
                       8    to    1

    Generally, you have a DB9 to RJ45 female adapter on your computer's
serial port, a rollover cable, and then the other end of the rollover cable
mates with the console (serial) port on a Cisco device.

    I have a few RJ45F to DB25M adapters from our good friends at Jameco.
Of course, you get the honor of setting the pins yourself.  I am trying to
determine the correct way to pin it out so I can use this arrangement to
talk to the RS232 interface on the TNC-2.

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    73,

                                                                Fred, WB4AEJ