[aprssig] was Re: Interference on 144.390 now OMNI DF

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 9 09:52:47 EST 2006

>>> "Brian Webster" <bwebster at wirelessmapping.com> 03/08/06
>Do you think it might be possible to further refine
>your system to not color in the rings but rather color
> in the area outside the rings of? This might help illustrate
>your concept better and would show area to look rather
>than where it is not.

The problem is that outside the "PHG rings" is undefined unless
you somehow had 100% reporting from everwyhere.  In
otherwords, you cannot flood all areas that have "no information"
with a color that implies some conclusion about a subset of
that area...

When I get a "zero sig" report I can fill in his PHG circle with
solid black to show it "is probably not in here"... in fact,
this data is the most valuable because typically you get
far more "zero sig" reports than "sig" reports.

>One thing that might be worth mentioning is that
>in the GIS world, maps that show any theme or
>represent any data should never try to convey more
>than 4 topics or points.

Boy do I agree with you there!  That is why I still use
the simple APRSdos for just about everything.  Its maps
are simple, because it is the APRS and HAM radio that
I want to see, not 3 megapixels of junk that hides the
data  I want to see!  Especially when some applications
do not even show the fundamental APRS network data
such as the extreme station variability of RANGE due
to their Power-Height and Gain.

Thanks for your feedback.
I DID learn something from this.  My plot was way off
because the signal was 50 miles away and on a
mountain with its own signal circle covering HALF the
state!    thus, the intersection of the jammer circle of
impact with individual receivers PHG circles was TOTALLY
vulnerable to the slightest variations in RECEIVER situation.

Like a chaotic system., extremely vulnerable to slight
changes...

I now realize that my my OMNI DF system had assumed
a FOX or mobile jammer who's "circle of impact" is smaller
than most other surrounding "receivetrs".  In that case,
small variations in receiver circles and capabilties are
less significant to the FOXe's smaller circle of influence.

I will be updaging my DOCS as soon as I get a chance
to point out how this system becomes chaotic  for long
distance high elevation weak signals, OR better, the
viewer must not jump to conclusions (like I did)  until he
has enough data to rule out a far-off, high elevation jammer...

Just one more out of area report would have caused
a conflict in my solution, requiring me to then consider
a far-off signal.

Bob, Wb4APR

My OMNI-DI