[aprssig] was Re: Interference on 144.390 now OMNI DF

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Mar 8 22:48:53 EST 2006

Bob,
	I had always thought your implementation of this Omni DF was cool and also
sad that the idea never caught on. I think too many hams assume the only way
you can DF a signal is with beam antennas and running around. With maps and
reverse Boolean logic plotted you get the ability to at least narrow down
the search real quickly. Do you think it might be possible to further refine
your system to not color in the rings but rather color in the area outside
the rings of? This might help illustrate your concept better and would show
area to look rather than where it is not. I think you would have to do a
little assumption of direction to eliminate the areas opposite of the
possible area being shaded in but that seems easy to figure out once you
have at least 2 stations reporting. Kind of like how the GPS receivers
ignore the obvious wrong position out in space.
	One thing that might be worth mentioning is that in the GIS world, maps
that show any theme or represent any data should never try to convey more
than 4 topics or points. The reasoning behind this is that the human eye and
mind get too confused and have to think and decipher what the map maker is
really trying to show, thus losing the effect of the map conveying obvious
meaning of the raw data at hand. Maybe your omni DF system fell fate to that
same basic concept. If you can just point out the areas where to look rather
than where not to people might get more excited about this feature. This
requires much less thought and gets your same point to the end user. Just my
2 cents as I remember having to read and re-read your documents on this and
finally figured it out after many days of thought and how it could possibly
work.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC