[aprssig] Killer APRS use! ;)

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Mar 9 04:08:53 EST 2006

The "Transponder" class of device is probably the better bet, than an
APRS beacon.

I used to have some designs for a single transistor VHF "Pinger" you
could detect with a normal broadcast RX.  It just "pinged" once a second
or so, very short pulse duration, more a ringing LC circuit kicked by a
unijunction I think.

Worked off a single dry cell, but no idea where the designs are now :(
I had one once that someone else built, was a bit of fun to throw it in
the garden over my shoulder, then DF it.

I seem to remember the basic circuit was from a medical journal of all
places, something to do with a body core temperature measurement task.
(The patient was suposed to ingest the thing!)  The C of the LC tank,
was the thermal sensor affecting the RF frequency of course.

Dave G0WBX.