[aprssig] TEMPn-N for Field Day

Robbie, wa9inf mwrobertson at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 14:56:18 EDT 2006

Bob es group,

I set up a TEMP digipeater with my base station on 145.010, as well as
the TEMP1-1,TEMP7-7 demo APRS station at the North Shore Radio Club FD
site, as well my TMD-700 mobile TEMP1-1 Fill digi on 145.010..  There
were three stations plotted on my UI-View32 map. NS9RC FD, KE9LN
Palatine, IL FD, and my wa9inf-1 mobile! I exchanged a couple messages
with KE9LN.

Very poor demo, but great interest when I filled up the map on the
144.390 channel...

My observations led me to beleive that it wasn't the lack of interest in
APRS, it was more the competitive attitude towards CW and SSB contacts.
The general public was a lot more interested in the map displays, the
messageing cababilities I think than the CW idea. SSB also was more
interesting to the spectators... Especially the Emergency SAR,
assistance knowing where the "units" were and so forth got a lot of
attention... I also ran a couple power point shows when I got their
attention rather than just answering off the hip questions..

Robbie