[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRS with?

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Thu Jun 22 12:03:54 EDT 2006

We have used APRS for a local Triathlon race for 4 years now. This race has
three events, a bicycle race, canoe race and a run. We use trackers in the
lead and tail vehicles for the bicycle race and others if they were
available. For the canoe and running portions we manually place the lead and
last units on the map based on voice reports from the different checkpoints.
The race officials like the fact that they can anticipate the first arrivals
from each leg of the relay race. They were really impressed when we could
tell them the speed of the lead bike any time they wanted to know. We prefer
to use WinAPRS for the fact that we can have multiple map windows open. We
usually have one for each tracker and have the track option turned on for
each unit in each separate window. Using the F6 key you can jump from window
to window with each one having a course and speed displayed on the map while
the map automatically pans as the unit moves. From a tactical perspective it
is very informative. We also operate communications with the Fire, Police
and EMS. This race runs through the Village of Cooperstown NY and the local
Police really appreciate the heads up when the bikes come through with all
the tourists around. Some years we run a second display only station where
the general public and Race officials hang out so they can see things for
themselves. We prefer to use trackers with smart beaconing. This gives you
position reports when you need them and not always at timed intervals. If
you make a sharp turn it sends out a packet. On a tight race course on
winding roads it looks much more impressive when our tracking units actually
stay on the road on the map. We do this on the existing APRS channel, we
have excellent results especially with the new WideN paradigm being
implemented.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC