[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRS with?

Anders Green anders at pobox.com
Thu Jun 22 09:43:58 EDT 2006

At 09:03 AM 6/22/2006, William McKeehan wrote:
>We provided communications for the Knoxville Marathon and APRS was used in
>that. I had a Kenwood TH-D7 on my motorcycle and one APRS display at the
>Start/Finish line. I stayed with the lead runner until he crossed the finish
>line at which point I went back and trailed the last runner.

Wow, that's a cool example of what you can do with just
ONE tracker.

>a bicycle ride called the Tour de Blount. ... At this event, we
>had 3 event coordinators come talk to us about providing communications for
>their event.

People who do things well are doomed to doing lots
of work! *grin*

>Do you guys have plans to use APRS for Rally TN this year? I worked that event
>last year @ the net control station with Tony; you may remember me.

Oh! Hey! Small world. :)

I don't know what the plans are for Rally Tennessee this
year. (http://www.rallytennessee.com/ ) I'm sure Tony
will be in charge of communications. I know that he has
_wanted_ to implement APRS for the last five years or so.
I would guess that there's not a digipeater up there, but
you would probably know better than I. We were all running
around like silly chickens at that event... we sure could
have used some resource tracking.

Cheers,
Anders