[aprssig] Re: aprsd Mic-E Problem..was passcode

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Jun 22 08:24:11 EDT 2006

There are two known issues with aprsD and Mic-E packets.  First, the
default initialization file for KPC TNCs turns FILTER ON (not shouting,
just how TNC commands are usually denoted).  This causes the unprintable
characters of _some_ Mic-E packets to be lost.  Filtering on any TNC
including the KPCs _must_ be turned off (true for _any_ APRS client or
IGate running the TNC in converse mode).

Second, there appears to be an issue in some versions (not sure if it is
with all versions or just certain versions) with the DEL character
(0x7f).  This character only appears at +-9 and +-99 degrees longitude.
We saw this a lot with German servers.  This one seemed to be an aprsD
issue since they were using KISS mode TNCs with the Linux AX.25 kernel
module.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net