[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRS with?

Jim Andrews jim at stuckinthemud.org
Thu Jun 22 01:45:30 EDT 2006

We too use APRS on a car rally.

http://www.2300club.org/

10 course vehicles, including some of the rescue/recovery crews, and what is
known as the "flying control car" - a rally car that travels the course at
full speed immediately ahead of the competitors as a wake-up for marshals
and practice run for timing etc.

Mounting the kit in the flying control car was a challenge, as we had to
design and build a shock mounting that would absorb a lot of vibration, plus
comply with the stringent motor sport safety regulations.

We also need 6 digipeaters to achieve 100% coverage of the course and get
the information back to rally control, as the rally takes place in one of
the most mountainous areas of the UK - the Isle of Mull on the west coast of
Scotland - and has around 120 route miles that is rallied three times over a
36 hour period.

It's as much a test of operator (and rally driving) endurance as putting in
a temporary APRS network! This year will be our 6th using APRS on the event
and my 19th as a radio operator.

Jim, G1HUL