[aprssig] Dead Reckoning in APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 16:16:46 EDT 2006

  Message: 8
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:22:27 -0400
From: "Robert Bruninga"

Subject: [aprssig] Dead Reckoning in APRS
 ...somebody said (damn digest listing):
>Just curious... what happens if the mobile station just parks
>and turns his "tracker" off? Does dead reckoning make it
>keep going in APRSdos...

  Bob,
     I believe the correct way of giving the anwser should be:
      NO!  It does not "keep going" with DR.

  I saw the beauty of DR immediately, as you described it.  (still learning about APRS & your work)

   It does not "keep going".  The display gives a definitive indication of a "stale" target and an indication of how stale or latent it is...at a glance.

  Beautiful.

  The other side of this, of course, and as you are well aware of, is sensory overload...if you try to cram too much info into a given space / screen / ear.
  On some of those high end flight simulators, I sometimes wanted to shoot that damn babe relling me for the twenth time I was hit.  "Shut the bleep up!"  I'm trying to fly the damn plane! ... and save my ass!"  (:-)

  Good thing it was just a simulator...

  73, Steve, K9DCI  USN '63-'69