[aprssig] WIDEn-N 'Decay Sequence'

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jun 19 12:43:01 EDT 2006

Anders KI4IWX  wrote...

> Which brings me to another generic question. I'm guessing
> that the set up for the digipeaters is a string like
> "RELAY,WIDE,WIDE1-1" (note that I'm not saying that this
> is a _recommended_ setup string *grin*) So does the
> digipeater just parse the packet, and if it contains
> one of those strings, rebroadcast it?
>
> OR, is each of those actually the name of a _setting_ whereby
> there are further parameters, like "RELAY" would mean, oh,
> 'a signal received locally, not from another digipeater,
> with a signal strength of x, and a color of blue?'

I and others have already mentioned it, but just a note. You will find
references to RELAY and WIDE in the D700 manual, but they are obsolete. The
D700 manual will be around for a while but there are very few digipeaters
that respond to RELAY or just plain WIDE. The big problem with RELAY and
WIDE is that there was no dupe checking. They caused a lot of extra QRM and
would have eventually doomed APRS in busy areas. Modern digipeaters in North
America will completely ignore RELAY and WIDE. I have my IGate set to gate
them to the APRS-IS, but I don't digipeat them.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH