[aprssig] Road Trip so far...my experience

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 19 08:41:46 EDT 2006

I can offer a tip.  Remember that just because you dont see
a MY PACKET copy comnfirming you were digipeated, does
not mean you were not digipeated.  In fact, probably 1/4
of the time you wont see it in a properly working network.

This is because the network is supposed to have all digipeaters
that hear the initial packet to all digipeat it at once and
only use up one time slot, not multiple time slots.  This
lets the packet radiate outward N hops in N time slots
and not N-times-N time slots which really ruins network
efficiency.  So if you see a SIGNAL STRENGTH burst
immediately after your packet, but no MY PACKET, then
not only were you digipeated, but your packet actualy
hit two equidistant digis and got launched in both directions
at once.  This is why you are on FINDU in some areas even
though you never saw th econfirmation beep.  de WB4APR

>>> "Brian Webster" <bwebster at wirelessmapping.com> 06/18/06 11:04 PM >>>
Great report Joel. Nice to hear a trip that is successful. Your Iowa
experience mirrored mine quite a few years ago. I brought my HT, TNC and
laptop. No sooner did I fire it up in a Des Moines hotel room when I watched
a truck come in from Nebraska and followed him in to Illinois on my map
without being connected to the net. I give the Iowa group a lot of credit
for a good network. Your trip through NY should produce pretty good results.
I'm not sure of the state of things in NYC but the rest of the state is in
good shape. Have a safe trip and I hope to hear an update on the rest of
your trip. I'd be curious to see if your system works as well if you just
set the path to WIDE2-2 only. That is what I run on my TinyTrak and am quite
happy. I get the feeling that with the new paradigm, the fill in home
stations are much less of a necessity. I run my tracker with a 5W HT and a
quarter wave whip. I've never done a detailed long trip review like you
have, but when people checked on me via the net they always seem to get good
results in that the packets are not that old. Might just be that I was
always in good coverage areas, might be that the new paradigm really does
work as we needed it to over most areas.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC