[aprssig] Igate,APRS-IS, Messaging

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Jun 18 08:39:00 EDT 2006

You are basically correct.  Bob's statement about server operation is
incorrect.  When an IGate connects to a filter port on a server, it
receives all packets per the filter set PLUS any messages (and
associated posits from the sending station) addressed to the IGate PLUS
any messages (and associated posits from the sending station) addressed
to stations gated to APRS-IS by the IGate.  This "last heard" function
on a filter port allows the IGate to see messages destined for station
in the local RF area.  Nothing special has to be configured in the IGate
for this to work.  This allows the IGate to get a properly filtered data
stream and see only messages destined for the IGate or stations heard on
RF by the IGate.  This "last heard" functionality has been on filter
ports since the very early days of the port.  Remember acks are just
standard message packets.

The IGate is in complete control of what actually gets gated to RF.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net
(Author of javAPRSSrvr)