[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jun 17 22:18:08 EDT 2006

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> I have several D7's and almost NEVER use a GPS, for
> routine operations, because it is just too big a hassle.
> But I DO message frequently from the D7.  And if I visit
> a new area, I must manually enter a posit or it will not
> transmit.

We must think differently. To me it would be more of a hassle to key in the
ambiguous position than it would be to connect a GPS receiver to the D7. I
also don't stand still in one spot very long. If I was beaconing a position,
I would want it to be accurate and current. I don't have a D7, but about the
only time I can think of that I would manually key in a position would be if
I absolutely had to send a message and I was indoors and the GPS couldn't
acquire a fix. Of course, whether I was indoors or outdoors, I would have a
laptop with me and a TCPIP connection with me 99% of the time. The only time
I'm without the laptop is when I'm on the bike. No, I still don't have APRS
running on the bike yet, but there is always a GPS mounted on the handlebars
and running continuously. Gotta get the project for the bike finished!

I still think I should have changed the subject. Nothing to do with TIGER
maps!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH