[aprssig] Dead Reckoning in APRS

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jun 17 22:02:10 EDT 2006

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Those of us that are used to seeing this multi-dimensional represetation
> of the passage of time, space and distance on each mobile symbol or
> weather object feel very blind when we dont have it.

You must be looking at someone else's APRS client and not one running on
your own computer! I've never had "dead reckoning" so I have never missed
it. I do know that if I want to know the time last heard, the bearing and
distance, status, course and speed, and height if included, I only have to
hover the cursor over it for a fraction of a second. If I want a graphical
representation of the direction, I can double-click on it and see the
station details. I can also look at the variable length vector going out
from a mobile station to see an approximation of the speed and the
direction. The faster the station is moving, the longer the red line is.
You can probably guess which APRS client I'm using. (hint... UI-View32)

> When I see a fixed-color-ICON on a map for a mobile or WX
> object without Dead Reckoning, I always wonder how old that
> posit is a minuite? 30 minutes? a Day?, A week?

>From your earlier description of dead reckoning in APRSdos, it sounds like
it is well implemented. Dead reckoning must work well IF the road is
straight and there aren't any intersections. Again, I only have to hover
over a station to see when last heard. I know I have the expire time set for
60 minutes (at least on the machine I'm on right now) so I know that no
station is older than that. I have on occasion set it to for a longer
period, but a week??? When was the last time you saw someone set their
expire time for a week?

> Though at least most programs fade them to gray after the
> recommended 80 minutes I hope.

The program that I use fades them to grey when the expire time has been
reached. A minute later, the expired station disappears. If I was tracking
the station (UI-Route or UIHeightTrack) the track will remain on the screen
even after the station has expired.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH