[aprssig] Aprs used during fire

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Tue Jun 13 15:30:33 EDT 2006

I hadn't thought of the D cells in a pipe trick.... but was planning on a pelican case with an HT.. and we have a few fiberglass telescoping tripod poles.  They are very very light (about 25 lbs) and go over 30' up.  The kind that you push the inner pipe up and twist 1/4 turn to lock the pegs in a slot.  I'd just tell the install crew to make the one wire weather unit point north.  It'd also be nice if they could plug a GPS in for just a moment at powerup and have the opentracker memorize that position.  Then unplug the GPS and hoist it up.

Wes