[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

Chris Howard w0ep at frii.com
Tue Jun 13 14:10:37 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:29, KC2MMI (Jared) wrote:

>  Invalid analogy.

I cry foul!

The postal database in your analogy is equal to "the ground".
Software data washing can be used in the postal case because "the
ground" is known within the software realm.

The only representation of "the ground" in the APRS mapping case
is the mapping data.  You say the mapping data is
faulty.  I say, there's nothing to compare it to within the
software realm.

You can display all the roads a mile wide, but it doesn't solve the
problem, just makes the picture fuzzier.  Maybe that road was
removed last month.

The fundamental problem is that the mapping data doesn't match
the ground, can never completely match the ground.  And where we
disagree is how that can be communicated to the user.  I contend
that the end-user is the only person  possible to have all of the
information necessary to make a judgement about how the mapping data
does or doesn't match real life.  Trying to service that problem in
software is just another corruption of the data.

I understand the issue now, so I'll quit.

Chris