Position Ambiguity [was] Re: [aprssig] findu.com....

Neil Johnson Neil.Johnson at erudicon.com
Mon Jun 12 21:33:19 EDT 2006

Even Garmin and most other GPS manufacturers put a disclaimer similar to
the following in a BIG RED BOX at the beginning of their users' manuals:

WARNING:
Failure to avoid the following potentially hazardous situations could
result in an accident or collision resulting in death or serious injury.

When navigating, carefully compare information displayed on the eTrex to
all available navigation sources including information from visual
sightings and maps. For safety always resolve any discrepancies or
questions before continuing navigation.

Using the electronic chart in the eTrex only to facilitate, not to
replace the use of authorized government charts. Official government
charts and notices to mariners contain all information needed to
navigate safely.

I'm not a lawyer, but in my opinion it boils down to: "The only data you
should trust is the government's. If you trust our data and get screwed,
then you can't sue us".

-Neil