Position Ambiguity [was] Re: [aprssig] findu.com....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 12 16:33:10 EDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, James Washer wrote:

> My favorite for this situation
>
> "In the event of a discrepency between the map and the terrain, go with the terrain"

I really like that one, and hadn't heard it before.

Hey, for anyone who's still following this thread, here's a relevant
part from Xastir's license, the GPL:

                    "NO WARRANTY

  11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO
WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR
OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND
PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE
DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR
CORRECTION.

  12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN
WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY
AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU
FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE
PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING
RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A
FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF
SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGES."

Of course this doesn't mean we won't strive to do the best we can.
We may have to think about displaying some warning dialog when the
on-line Tigermap server is used for instance, otherwise the user may
be unaware of the map limitations.  The important thing here is not
limiting liability for the developers (although without that there'd
be little to no development), but whether the software + maps could
get used in some manner that causes loss of life or property.

For local map files used with Xastir, we assume they would have
navigated through warnings on the download sites and/or read the
documentation for each map set.  We have no way of knowing what type
of data users are loading into Xastir, or where they got it from.