[aprssig] New User Question(s)

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jun 6 18:38:01 EDT 2006

> As to whether Plowshare Peak should support a full WIDEn-N
> network digi or
> only a "fill-in" digi (with a "1 overlay" and operating
> WIDE1-1 ONLY, no

That would probably be fine.  I'm mostly interested in having a nearby beta
test site for the T2, and Plowshare at least used to have a weather station
that I was hoping it could be merged with.  I'll have to see what happened
to it, since it doesn't seem to be on the air now.

As for the use of WIDE1-1 for fill-in, I understand that the point is to
allow the digi to act as an entry point to the network for users without
adding to the network congestion by unnecessarily digipeating traffic from
outside its coverage area.  But is that the best way to do it?  Assuming of
course that you're not constrained by the capabilities of a KPC-3.

What about just setting it up for first-hop operation only?  It wouldn't be
hard to have it catch WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2, and so on.

Scott
N1VG