[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Tue Jun 6 18:25:46 EDT 2006

> So there's no generic CA alias?

No.  The SSn-N concept envisions "community by State" to limit excessive VHF
bandwidth consumption over areas broader than a single State, but California
is stretched too far North and South for that to be an effective limitation.
(States are _much_ smaller back East.  hi)  Hence the NCAn-N for Northern
California and SCAn-N for Southern California (same regional scheme as the
heirarchal addresses for networked packet BBSs in California).

> What do I use for a digi on Plowshare peak?  Is there a defined dividing
> line?  Or any rule against implementing both?
>
> Scott
> N1VG

No, no absolute line, nor rule against implementing both if useful.
Possibly a good idea "along the boundary" there if a high WIDEn-N digi is
truly needed on Plowshare Peak.  (The only RULES in APRS are the
requirements of the FCC, but of course one of those is "good amateur
practice". http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/10/09/1/ )

But most APRSers will not use "SSn-N" at all, they'll use WIDEn-N instead
(WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 mobile or plain WIDE2-2 fixed, for good amateur practice).

As to whether Plowshare Peak should support a full WIDEn-N network digi or
only a "fill-in" digi (with a "1 overlay" and operating WIDE1-1 ONLY, no
"SSn-N"), first determine _how many_ APRS users residing within Plowshare
Peak's "footprint" are _not already served_ by an existing full WIDEn-N "S
overlay" digi.  In other words, weigh the measured need against the certain
cost (of additional consumption of our limited available airtime on VHF).

With the elevations, topography, and demography involved, I'd suggest
Plowshare Peak's best use would be to support a "fill-in" digi even though
it's a great high elevation site (at 3917' AMSL overlooking a broad area).
There's a full WIDEn-N less than 20 miles away, and the adjacent populated
Valleys seem already well covered by high level WIDEn-N digis.
http://map.findu.com/plowshare
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=S_&limit=15&call=plowshare

73, Cap KE6AFE
packet BBS address:  ke6afe @ ki6eh.#NCA.ca.usa.noam