[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Jim Campbell jim-c at charter.net
Sun Jun 4 17:10:17 EDT 2006

I am a new user and could use some handholding.  I have two APRS
stations.  The first uses a laptop running UI-View through an MFJ-1274
(KISS mode) into the home 2-meter station running about 10 watts into a
Ringo Ranger II.  The second a TinyTrack3+ using a Deluo GPS and driving
an HT running about a watt.  I have tried the HT with a rubber duck as
well as a 5/8 wave mag mounted antenna on my car.

The laptop can see local APRS stations as well as the TinyTrack3+, but
none of the local digis appear to see either of my stations. I'm
wondering if the problem is in setting up the routing.  Initially, I had
the TT3 set up with a route of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.  I believe the home
station had just APRS as the route, but as I stated earlier I'm new and
not sure if that is the entry for routing.  Should I set my routing as
"APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1"?

In watching other local stations, I see the following kinds of routing:
1)  ...>APRS,W4ABC*,W4DEF*,...
2)  ...>3URS6T,W4GHI*...

I understand that the first item in the routing list is really the
destination, so the "APRS" makes sense as a generic destination.
However, the "3URS6T" is a total mystery to me.  Also, does the "*"
indicate that the message has been digipeated?

I'm in a low-usage area.  UI-Aloha tells me that there are only 33
stations in my area.

I realize that I've asked several questions here, but any help would be
much appreciated.

Jim
W4BQP, W4BQP-5