[aprssig] Smart Weather Beaconing...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jun 4 15:21:06 EDT 2006

>I'd like to see something like smartbeaconing for weather
>stations where a higher wind speed will result in more
>frequent weather beacons...

That was fundamental in the original APRS since 1995.  Like
everything else, unchanging data was transmitted less and less
often.  So for Weather, if nothing was changing, then the time to
the next packet was doubled.  Out to a maximum of 30 minutes,
but usually something changed before 30 was ever reached.
But since, in some areas, wind is always changing, there was a
special users settable wind threshold.   Wind would  not be
considered  "new data" unless it was above a certain speed.
Above that speed, then changing wind would re-start
the packet decay algorithm.

I think several APRS clones may have ignored this fundamental
part of the protocol.

de Wb4APR, Bob