[aprssig] Need help testing 30m HF APRS in the Northwest

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:14:03 EDT 2006

> > On HF,  The recommended path was always
> > VIA GATE,WIDE and now that should be VIA GATE,WIDE1-1.
>
>GATE,WIDE1-1 is like saying GATE,RELAY.
>Is that really what you intended?
>Or would did you mean GATE,WIDE2-1?

Yes, either or both.  WIDE1-1 is equivalent to WIDE2-1
since it is simply a single hop.  And a single hop is all
that we ever want to see on VHF after coming through
a GATE from HF to VHF.

Why a single hop?  Because in an APRS national network,
point-sources of injected out-of-area-packets must be
managed at the LOCAL level.  IE, in the own-backyard
of the source.  This same thing holds for IGates and any
other PC that decides to inject out-of-area-packets into
his local network.

I wish everyone would do their network planning this
way.  This way, the QRM from such injections only affects
the "local" area of the source, and the LOCALS can go
put pins in the guy's coax if he is messing up the network.

But if he is 100 miles away and QRMing half of the state,
but he lives in a rural area with no-one nearby to go
pound on his door, then the problem festers for months
if not years.

So, best to keep injected packets LOCAL.  If that does not
cover the desired area, then add *another* injection point
over where it is needed.

SOmething like that anyway...
That is why I think that ALL IGates should only use a SINGLE
hop for their APRS-IS==>RF packets..

Bob, WB4APR