[aprssig] Need help testing 30m HF APRS in the Northwest

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:02:37 EDT 2006

Ah, I missed that!
Yes, I am all for experimenting and hearing a digipeat is
the best way to know it is getting out.   As long as it is
a limited operation.   I saw the receommendation to use
ECHO without those caveats and I think everyone agrees
it is not a good idea for routine operations.

On the other hand, it coiuld be argued again, that ECHO
which can cause multiple digipeates and then collisions,
will not be decodable in response, so nothing will be
seen.  Might be better to have the intended recepient
callsign for the digipeat and then only one station
(the desired one) will digipeat and he will get a good signal.

Bob

>>> johnk.mchugh at att.net 07/30/06 12:18 PM >>>
Robert Bruninga wrote:

>ECHO on HF has never been receommeded for digipeating except
> in the case of bonifide emergenceis!

Bob, in this case with only 400mw output it's not likely it will hit
many ECHO stations. He's just experimenting

John

--
John Mc Hugh, K4AG
Coordinator for Amateur Radio