[aprssig] Need help testing 30m HF APRS in the Northwest

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Sat Jul 29 19:53:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm working on a 30m "pocket tracker".  The final is a 74HC240 (similar
to the 38 Special the NorCal QRP club sold as a kit) putting out about
400mW.  In every way I can measure it, I'm producing correct output
(for example, simultaneous AFSK output from the microcontroller can be
decoded by AGWPE).  However, either I'm missing something, or I'm just
not reaching any GATEs (or those gates aren't getting to an IGate over
VHF with my GATE,WIDE2-2 path).  It may be that 400mW is just too weak.

Before I try adding a 5W PA, I was hoping to find someone in the vicinity
of Portland, OR who could listen (or even better decode) my 30m SSB
transmissions.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>