[aprssig] Nuclear Power Plant Icon?

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Fri Jul 21 12:07:52 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Galgano"
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Nuclear Power Plant Icon?

> I'm more interested in the science of it, so I'll chime in even if this
> doesn't prove practical.
>
> I know some folks in the scrap metal business who have detectors around
> the main truck entrance so they don't get a 'hot load'. They seem to be
> quite sensitive. I don't know what detectors they are, or the surface area
> of the detector. I'll see if I can find out this weekend. They tell
> stories of detecting very small amounts of active material...

There may be someting else to consider ... at a "main truck entrance" the
speed of the truck is, what, 10,20 or 30 mph and the detector can be mounted
fairly close to the trucks path.  On a highway trucks are going, what, 55 to
65 mph and the distance from the detector to the truck is likely to be
considerably further.

Richard Amirault              N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA          Go Fly A Kite