[aprssig] EVDO to 802.11g dilemma

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Tue Jul 18 21:33:11 EDT 2006

It's been a busy week for me.  Got fed up with my employer and found a
really cool new job.

I've been tasked with deploying an EVDO to 802.11g system for a municipal
GIS application.   I've inherited hardware and software that I have to make
work due to certain time and budget constraints.   I am stuck for now using
Windows XP Pro on an embedded computer platform.    Here's the issue:

We had a small Linux router running on a Soekris board, but I've been told
to abandon it (for now) and use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on a
small Via Epia box running XP with an EVDO Card.  AP and Bridging roles are
handled by Senao EOC/NOC-3220's.    I <<HAVE TO>> use ICS (against my
advice, but it's what the boss wants) to feed the AP, bridges, and
computers downstream.   Suprisingly, I set everything to DHCP, crossed my
fingers, held my breath, and it works.

Here's my problem.  The Senao 3220's were set up using static IP's, but
since we've gone DHCP with ICS using 192.168.0.XXX IP addresses I have lost
control of the 3220's.  They work, but I can't find their IP's to access
their web-based setup utilities (for WEP, etc).  They have a console port,
but we need to manage them when they're up on poles.  ICS has no native
DHCP lookup table, but you can dig up the Hosts.ICS file and look at the IP
leases.   The odd thing is that all computers on the network show up there,
but the AP and Bridge do not.   I tried Angry IP Scanner on both networks
and obvious ports, but again the Senao 3220's show up nowhere.  I even
tried guessing the IP's by typing in almost every IP in the available range
- no luck.   Senao provides no information about doing a hard reset on the
units nor do they give any info on using the console port.

I remember the old Linksys WAP11's had a "find AP" utility.  Anyone know of
anything like that for more modern hardware?   I was told that ICS for XP
can not work with static IP's, but it looks like it supports ARP, so I
suppose I could set the AP and bridge(s) to static IP's as long as I stay
in the 192.168.0.xxx range.   I just have to be able to get back in to set
them up...

Any thoughts or suggestions?    Please respond off-sig, even though this is
for an APRS-like application, I'm sure it will bring complaints.

Regards,

Mark