[aprssig] vehicle laptop mount for APRS rig

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Tue Jul 18 16:58:10 EDT 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a vehicle laptop mount?
>
> I find myself going mobile with the laptop more and more, and it's
> fairly unmanageable.
>
> I'd also be interested in hearing about success with display
> mounts, especially touchscreens, for mobile computing rigs.

Note that in many jurisdictions, laptops that are visible to the
driver are illegal.  There are exceptions for "navigation systems" in
some places, but you should check your laws first and make sure you
comply.

Also, there is no such thing as a temporary mount for anything in a
car - or at least shouldn't be.  You should do this right or not at
all.  I would not want to get hit by a laptop in an accident...  Note
that "easily removable" and "doesn't modify the car's structure" are
not the same as "temporary".  But for something as heavy as a laptop,
it's almost a given that it will need to attach to a seat attachment
bolt or other similarly sturdy mount.

As others have mentioned, watch out for those airbags.