[aprssig] Delayed packets

Mark Conner mconner1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 16:58:06 EDT 2006

If you look in the APRSSIG archives for early last month, you'll see a
discussion of the same topic.

Initially, my thinking was that UI-View was more prone to this than other
I-Gate software, but the data I gathered does not support that view.  It
appears that certain I-Gates "hold" their packets somehow or another
before forwarding them on to the APRS-IS.  There is a small chance something
odd is happening on the APRS-IS side, but that's unlikely as it tends to be
very IGate-specific when it happens.  If you can contact the I-Gate operator
while it's happening, it'd be interesting to know if the problem goes away
with a software or system restart.

I am working on a Perl script to monitor and log when these delayed
packets happen.  Right now the decoder portion does not decode NMEA strings,
so I can only do this for TinyTraks that are transmitting hour-min-sec data
in their position reports.

73 de Mark N9XTN