[aprssig] Inernet Server Challenge

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 10 12:05:47 EDT 2006

>>> dave at emv.co.uk 07/10/06 4:53 AM >>>
>[For CW on the internet]... Bob.  Take a look at....
><http://morsecodeonweb.homestead.com/>
>Firewalls should be not a problem.
>
>Sort of surprised you hadn't found that, it was at the top
>the searchlist as a result of Googling for "CW internet".

Thanks for the links!   The CW Messenger program appears
to be almost what I was proposing.  But not quite.  Yes,
it can send CW between stations on the interneet, but
the "one-on-one" connection between stations is just
that, one-on-one and also is established by clicking on
a callsign.

I was after a more realistic (though more complex) program
that fully looked and felt like a radio... things like:

1) you tune up and down the "band" and you hear
everyone's tones moving up and down with you.

2) If there are mulltiple signals in a "3 Khz bandwidh of each
other, you hear them all (at their own tone) as you tune.
An option would be selecting a "500 Hz filter" and then
only signals within +/- 200 Hz would be heard.

3) You establish contact only by tuning an audio signal in..
and only by sending out "CQ"... Though I am sure that
programmers cannot avoid the temptation to provide a
"who's on list"..  But I would prefer that the list only show
their "virtual operating frequency" and the user has to
virtually tune him in and call him to establish the QSO.

One brute-force, but simple way to implemnt this in code
would be to take a 10 KHz wide "virtual novice band"
and feed it from a central WEB audio server, 3 KHz at
a time, but every 500 Hz!  THat way, as the receiving
station "virtually tunes" the band, he is actually stepping
through the 20 audio channels (all offset from each other
by 500 Hz... but it "sounds like" he is tuning a radio with
500 Hz steps.

Then the inbound part of this sesrver only has to do
one thing, and that is accept the digital keying  from
any and all players on their selected virtual "frequency".

Of course, I imagine this is very inefficient since to make
it sound like a real rig, would need 100 Hz steps and
100 ausio streams for the 10 KHz channel.  ANd it does
not scale well if the poplarity rises...  SO I only offered
this example for ease of visualizing what is really needed.
And that is a comprehensive digital feed that can be
very efficient and only create the "sound" locally
from all the digital data...

Or something like that...

Bob,
WB4APR