[aprssig] APRS station on voice repeater - how to monitor

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Sun Jul 9 21:59:05 EDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 09:44:44PM -0400, Doug Ferrell wrote:

> Seems like one of our local aprs users has forgotten to switch off the TNC
> while on one of the local 2m repeaters. I've tried in vain to monitor with
> Winpack and Hyperterm to see what the station is..... even tried monitoring
> via the input.

You'll probalby have to monitor the uplink, since a voice repeater won't
catch the first second of the transmission.

What frequencies?  You'll need a lot of listeners (or a trip to the
repeater base station!) to catch the offenders.

(btw if it becomes really serious you could record some of the packet
tails and get someone to manually decode them, and possibly get enough
to match the packet to similar ones on APRS-IS).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>