[aprssig] Inernet Server Challenge

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jul 9 11:59:34 EDT 2006

I am posting this off-topic note here on APRSSIG because it
is where some excellent APRS-IS programmers are:

We need a free HAM radio Internet Program for Youth:

I have been proposing this for years, and it has come up again
on some HAM-Scout Radio groups....  Here is what I think
would help HAm radio and scouting at the CUB and tenderfoot
level.

Let me remind you that I am NOT ***NOT*** a CW
proponent.  I never use it on the air since 40 years
ago when I was a novice.  (Though I can still copy it.)

But my experience with scouts and HAM radio is that

1) The best time that kids take an interest and are
motivated to do something new is about the 8 to
12 year old range.

2) Most of HAM radio does not impress them.  Most
already have a cell phone

3) But they ***ARE*** fascinated by the secret code (CW)
(Again, at the 8 to 10 year age)...  THink harry potter

4) And they can learn enough of it in one hour to
communicate some simple things...

What we need is a FREE HAM radio program that
runs on a PC and the internet and LOOKS like a
HAM radio.  You turn the dial and move up and
down the "NOVICE" bands. And can swtch "bands".

In there you "hear via your sound card speaker"
any CW statios.  There is also a spectrum display to
show where to listen.

AND the program lets ANYONE send CW using their
MOUSE button.  Everyone on the planet can particapte
(just like HF) and the internet ties it all together
by providing the link.

THink about it.  It looks and feels 100% like HAM
radio, and it is CW based so that there is a
challenge to "entering the secret code room".
And the kids do not need a license to use it.

One thing that is overlooked in the outreach to kids
is that they are intimidated to have to use a Mic
to talk to an adult.  In fact, they wont even talk to
each other, except make noises...  But CW is the
great blind pipeline that eliminates some of the
human insecurity issues mostly because the receiver
and sender are concentrating so much on the CW
and spelling, that there are no other human distractions
such as race and gender and age and accent.

I sure wish I knew how to write Internet linked code
and I would do this in a heart beat.  I'm not talking
about AUDIO serving.  I am talking about a system
that APPEARS as audio to the recepient including
100 Hz tuning steps and QRM and multiple signals
all in the same bandwidth.  (unless they select
a "500 Hz filter"... etc...

But the Internet link uses digitized CW for speed and
efficiency.  Timing and delays are a  big problem, but I
am sure there are some experts out there that
can take the challenge.  It would be a great way
to reach these young kids looking for something
"different" and it would help the future of HAM radio.

Future upgrades could let them "tune" in on any of many
NETS and listen to the VOICE signals (this would be
audio streaming)...  They could NOT TX here.  Just
SWL our existing LIVE HF.  Some "SWL" gateways statiosn
could just feed their own HF nets onto a given 3 KHz
"channel"... etc.

Then we could add SSTV etc.  Just keep them hooked with
more and more, and eventually they would take the interest
and get a license...

de Wb4APR, Bob