[aprssig] Re: APRS Video Podcast Distribution Challenge

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 12:36:24 EDT 2006

On 7/5/06, Richard Amirault <ramirault at verizon.net> wrote:
> I don't understand how you can say "It'll only take 5 or 10 minutes if
> you've got a slow connection (e.g.
>  dialup)."    The time to download is determined by the quaility setting AND
> the length of the video.   And so far you have said nothing about the
> lengths of these podcasts.  A 5 minute video is will not be the same as a 30
> min video.

Video podcasting and other forms of IPTV are designed for high-speed
internet connections.  It is just too difficult to try to accomodate
dial-up users.  The iPod version of the first podcast is about 15 MB.
I also hope to have a version on Google video, if they will ever
approve it, that will require less bandwidth.  So far the longest
video I've made for the podcast is about 10 minutes long and the H.264
version of that will be about 90 MB.