[aprssig] Re: APRS Video Podcast Distribution Challenge

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Wed Jul 5 11:20:09 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Habbinga"
Subject: [aprssig] Re: APRS Video Podcast Distribution Challenge

> The first video podcast features the Amateur Radio Society at Tech, a
> group of ham radio opertors that attend Texas Tech University,
> launching a high-altitude weather balloon loaded with several amateur
> radio payloads, including an APRS tracker.
>
> You may visit http://www.aprstv.com to download the first video in the
> Quicktime movie or iPod formats.  You will need the latest version of
> the Apple Quicktime Player or iTunes to view the videos.  As the
> episodes get archived I'll provide some lower resolution video in
> other formats.
(snip)
> Anyway, that's about it.  I hope you enjoy the podcast.  If you have a
> suggestion for content or about how to make the show better, please
> let me know.  Also, if you have video that is related to APRS, I'll
> see if I can get it featured on the podcast.

Comments:

Technical quality of video images ... excellent
 BUT, you have to download the entire file before playing it.  I would much
rather have a lower quality video image and be able to stream the video.  A
video that can be streamed can be *much* longer than the download first
type. Yes, they *can* be both the same, but if you don't want to view the
entire thing you can stop a streaming video before the whole thing downloads
.. but if you tell someone that you have to wait 5 or 10 or more minutes
before they see frame one it would discourage them from even starting the
process.

What was the point of the video?... who was it's intended audience?   Was it
edited from the 'original' version?  Was it made for this podcast, or are
you just taking anything related to APRS?

Fancy graphics ... somewhat overkill for my taste  (same for the music)

Richard Amirault              N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA          Go Fly A Kite