[aprssig] New-N Paradigm APRS Digipeater statistics

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Tue Jul 4 16:18:02 EDT 2006

> Annual report of APRS digipeaters worldwide:
>
> Now, almost 85% of all digis worldwide support the New-N
> paradigm.  In the last year, the number of fully New-N ("S")
> digis has trippled to almost 50% of all digis.  But still almost
> 26% of the old WIDEn-N ("N") digis have not been upgraded to
> all the improved effiiencies of the New N paradigm though they
> do still support WIDE-N users of the new Paradigm.

Great stats. Do we know how many of the "reported" New-N Digi's are really
New-N Digi's? I've seen several Digi's that have the correct over lay but
don't have the correct settings. I've even seen a couple that report New-N
while they still transmit RELAY,WIDE. The reason they changed the over lay
was because they read (or where told) the correct overlay settings without
knowing the correct New-N settings. I'm not trying to be critical but it
seams to me that because they report to be New-N we simply believe that
everything else is setup correctly, or do we double check each one before it
makes it to the stats page? Ok maybe it's a picky point, I just simply
wanted to get across to the group that not all reported New-N Digi's really
are and the number could be slated. Admittedly it's probably a very small
percentage of the total numbers but still a point I wanted to make.