[aprssig] legalities of laptop/gps in the front seat.

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 30 13:43:50 EST 2006

I would think that being federally licensed has no real impact on
this.  Either the local jurisdiction considers it a safety hazard, or they
don't.  Where there are "licensed operator" kinds of exemptions, I think
they are for things like scanners and what not, where the rationale isn't
safety, but "interference with officals".

Fundamentally, if what you're doing is considered by the officer to be
unsafe, you're going to get the ticket.  If not, then you won't.  Then,
you'll get a chance to convice the traffic court judge/referee.  The "no tv
in the front seat" kinds of laws just make it easier for the officer to
"sell the ticket" to the driver.

Jim, W6RMK