[aprssig] TEMPn-N system for fill-in UIDIGI's and D700's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:31:24 EST 2006

No, you cannot set TEMPn-N into the D700 without
using a laptop.  That is why we have not encouraged
using them as WIDEn-N temproary digis, because then
it takes forever for someone to turn them back off.
Meantime we live with weeks of QRM.

To set up the D700 as a permanent TEMPn-N mobile DIGI:

1) Set it to PACKET mode
2) Connect a laptop to the serial port
3) set UITRACE TEMP.
    set HID OFF.

Done.  It works independent of the APRS MENU
setting of DIGI off or ON.  This is what makes it
so valuable.  But it also does not add any QRM
to the channel because no one uses TEMPn-N
routinely.

Now go back to APRS mode and set your APRS
MENU to have DIGI OFF so that it will not normally
digipeat from the UIDIGI APRS MENU which I
think defaults to RELAY.

Having all these digis available all the time will make
using TEMPn-N for Field Day (or any other emergency)
 a done-deal.

Bob, WB4APR

>>> Randy Allen <ka0azs at earthlink.net> 01/28/06 9:56 AM >>>
Just to make it simple for us simple folks, let's make sure I understand
how to do this.

In my D700 Setup::

1.  On the UIDIGI menu (Menu 3-L) Input to read on the screen "TEMPn-N"
  ONLY( i.e remove all ALIAS's?  Or do we put in actual values for "n"
and "N", with the values being dependent on the local network conditions?

2.  Turn DIGIPEATER ON  (Menu 3-K) and leave it on at all times?

(Currently I have it set to WIDE1-1, and leave the DIGIPEATER off,
turning it on only if I need a fill in DIGI for an event, traveling with
a low power tracker in another vehicle, etc.)

3.  Then, when needing a temporary DIGI, add TEMP2-2, etc. to the path
of the other devices that will be using the D-700 as a digi(or replace
the current path in your Field Day example so as to use only the temp
network)?

You know us ex-AF types.  Gotta be in a checklist if you want us to do
it right!  ;-)

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS